Mistake #5 Use of Plastics
It’s hard to imagine a world without plastics but the plain truth is, plastic is a petrochemical and that can spell trouble for a child’s sensitive digestive system.
To minimize problems for children who suffer from Crohn’s Disease or Colitis, here’s a list of what to watch out for and avoid:
• vinyl or plastic crib mattresses
• vinyl or plastic mattress covers
• water beds.
• soft plastic or vinyl toys
• sheets of plastic over windows for draft protection
• plastic stroller covers
• rain coats
• anything else that smells like plastic
• plastic baby bottles
• never microwave any food or drink in plastic, this drives the molecules of plastic straight into the food or drink
A general rule of thumb is this: if you can smell the plastic it’s out-gassing and should be avoided. The harder the plastic, the safer it is. Hard plastic toys such as blocks, cars or robots are usually safe but it is best not to store too many of them in the child’s bedroom.
Go to Mistake #4